- PhD - Women's Studies, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, 2014
- MPhil - Women's Studies, Jadavpur University, Kolkata,2006
- MA - Sociology, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi,2003
- BA - Sociology, Presidency College, University of Calcutta, 2001
Dr. Sreerupa Sengupta has a PhD in Women's Studies from Jadavpur University. She received a fellowship by the Tokyo Foundation for Policy Research, Japan for her doctoral research on AIDS Communication, gender and human rights. She was a Visiting Fellow at Howard University, Washington D.C., USA and the American University of Cairo, Egypt. She has attended an Advanced Professional Training Program on Global Governance and Sustainable Development organised by German Development Institute, Bonn, Germany.
Sreerupa's career has spanned over 12 years in diverse sectors - academia, NGO and the industry. She has developed audio-visual educational materials for NGOs on HIV, Violence against Women and human rights. She has taught courses on - Gender and Governance, Gender Equality and Decent Work Agenda, Gender and Education, Qualitative Research.
She has conducted MDPs (Open and In-Company) for government and public sector officials in the areas of leadership and governance, gender mainstreaming (in policy, planning and evaluation). Some of the clients were Asian Development Bank, Ministry of External Affairs, Department of Science and Technology, Oil India, Indian Oil, CIDCO, LIC, Bank of Baroda, Indian Navy.
Area of expertise:
Gender and Health Communication, Health and Human Rights, Gender and Governance
Also teaches/ taught at:
Administrative Staff College of India (Hyderabad), National Institute of Rural Development (Hyderabad), Jadavpur University
Research and consulting area:
Research: Health communication, Social Policy (focus on gender responsive public service delivery, HIV and human rights, education, media), Corporate Social Responsibility
- Assistant Professor, Centre for Human Resource Development, Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad.
- Senior Research Fellow, School of Women's Studies, Jadavpur University, Kolkata.
- Sub Editor, Graphiti, The Telegraph, Kolkata.
- Consultant, Action Aid, Kolkata
Research & Publications:
- Sengupta, S., ed., 2018. Accelerating Change: Strategising for Gender Equality by 2030. Special Issue, ASCI Journal of Management, 47 (1) March. ISSN: 0257-8069.
- Sengupta, S., Singh,B. and Srivastava,K., 2016. Breaking the cycle of malnutrition in India: Surguja Fulwari, Chhattisgarh and Aman Persera, Meghalaya. ASCI Journal of Management, Vol 45, No.2, 20-35. ISSN: 0257-8069.
- Sengupta,S., , Singh,B. and R Prasanna, 2016. Right to Consent: Lado Campaign, Madhya Pradesh. ASCI Journal of Management, Vol 45, No.2,42-55. ISSN: 0257-8069.
- Sengupta, S., 2008. Brand Bula-di: A Review of HIV&AIDS Campaign in West Bengal. Sephis 4, No 3,6-10.
- Ravarappu, S., and Sengupta, S., 2017. Socio Economic and Gender based evaluation of Individual Category B Assets under MGNREGA in Telangana. Hyderabad: National Institute of Rural Development.
- Sengupta, S., 2017. Assessing Gender Sensitivity of Print Media Organisations and Content: Evaluation of Selected Print Media Houses in Four Metro Cities. New Delhi: Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India.
- Shahaida P. and Sengupta, S., 2015. Assessment of CSR Activities of Bharat Dynamics Limited. Hyderabad: Bharat Dynamics Limited.
- Chakravarti, P. and Sengupta, S. Sexual Harassment, Ragging and Higher Education Campuses: The Case of Jadavpur University. In XVI National Conference on Women's Studies, Guwahati, 2014.
- Sengupta, S., Gender and Human Rights in HIV&AIDS Communication. In Ryoichi Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund (SYLFF) Administrator's Meet, Tokyo Foundation, Japan, 2010.
- Sengupta, S., Doing cross-country Research: Experiences from the Field. Department of Anthropology, Howard University, USA, October 2009.
- Sengupta, S., Countering the Violations and Violence: A Review of Legislations and Policy. In International Congress on AIDS in the Asia and the Pacific, Colombo, 2007.
- Sengupta, S., Violence and HIV-positive Women: Case Studies from Kolkata. In National Consultation on Universal Access to HIV Prevention, Treatment, Care & Support for Women & Children, NACO, UNAIDS & UNODC, New Delhi, 2007.
- Sengupta, S., Gendering history in school textbooks. In Eastern Region Seminar on Feminism and the Production of Knowledge, Indian Association for Women's Studies & Jadavpur University, 2007.