- B. Pharmacy
- M. Pharmacy (Pharmacology) - L.M College of Pharmacy
- MBA (Marketing) - NMIMS Mumbai
- MSc (Health Economics, Policy & Management), London School of Economics
- PhD (Marketing)
Ajit has worked as in brand management in the pharmaceutical industry prior to getting into academics. In the year 2000 he joined the Goa Institute of Management. Currently he is the Director of GIM and is a Professor of Marketing and Health Care Management. He setup the Health Care Management program in 2013 and has worked in several areas of academic administration including program management, admissions chair, placement chair and chair of alumni affairs. His areas of professional interest are branding, consumer behaviour, health care financing & the future of higher education.
Ajit has consulted with various corporations & departments of the Government of Goa, Indiapost, UNDP, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, and many private sector organizations. He has published books, book chapters, cases & journal articles and has won 2 best paper awards. He has taught at various leading business schools including S.P Jain Mumbai, few of the new IIMs, Antwerp Management School, Belgium and Southampton University in the UK.
Area of expertise:
Marketing, Health Policy
Brand Management, Consumer Behavior, Financing and Paying for Health Care
Research and consulting area:
Measuring Brand Equity, Unconventional areas of Branding. Health Policy. Has consulted in areas relating to SMEs, Marketing Strategy and Brand-Building
Research & Publications:
- Dias-Amborcar, Y., & Parulekar, A, Forecasting Bed Requirement Using Hospital Records. Journal of Healthcare Management, 15(10), 75-81. (2013).
- Parulekar, A., Ethnography – A New Tool for Getting Closer to Customers. Indian Journal of Marketing, 24(4), 13-22. (2003).
- Parulekar, A.; Hakim Z.S; Santani D.D and Goyal, R.K., Effect of chronic treatment with spirapril on biochemical parameters in streptozotocin-diabetic and spontaneously hypertensive rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 1182-1186. (1997)
- Parulekar, A.; Srinivasan P.; Hakim Z.S; Santani D.D and Goyal, R.K., Abstract titled “Effects of chronic treatment with spirapril on cardiovascular complications in streptozotocin diabetic rats”, Indian Journal of Pharmacology, Vol. 27, pp. 80. (1995).
- Srinivasan P.; Parulekar, A.; Hakim Z.S; Santani D.D and Goyal, R.K., Abstract titled “Effects of chronic treatment with amlodipine on cardiovascular complications in streptozotocin diabetic rats”, Indian Journal of Pharmacology, Vol. 27, pp. 80. (1995).
- Parulekar, A., & Parulekar, M. Technological Innovation in Mining- What next for Perceptron Software Limited? ISB-Ivey Case Competition. (2015).
- Parulekar, A., & Kumar, G. Sharada Mandir School. SAIL Annual Management Casebook, 15, (2010).
- Parulekar, A., Opportunities for the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry. In Indian Patents Law. India: Macmillan India Limited, New Delhi (2006).
- Parulekar, A., & Raheja, P., Managing Celebrities as Brands: Impact of Endorsements on Celebrity Image. In L. Kahle & C. Kim (Eds.), Advertising and Consumer Psychology series. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. (2005).
- Parulekar, A., & Subramani, S., Political Branding: The Case of Congress Party. In Proceedings of the National IIMP conference. Pune, India. (2012). (The paper won first prize)
- Parulekar, A., & Sarwate, D., Measuring Brand Equity. In Proceedings of the Great Lakes NASMEI annual conference. Great Lakes, Mahabalipuram. (2009).
- Srinivasan, S. and Parulekar, A., Political Brand Extensions – Case of Congress Party of India, In Proceedings of the Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) conference in Melbourne (2009).
- Mallik, A., & Parulekar, A., A study of the Impact of New Product introductions on firm performance in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry prior to the implementation of the 2005 Indian Patents Act. In Proceedings of the PDMA-IIMB International Product Development conference. Bangalore. (2007).
- Kamat, V., & Parulekar, A., Brandlove – The precursor to brand loyalty. In Proceedings of the Image and Advertising Conference. Los Angeles, USA: Society of Consumer Psychology, USA. (2007).
- Parulekar, A., Surrogate Advertising and Brand Equity. In Proceedings of the Consumer Personality Research Conference. Dubrovnik, Croatia. . (2005).
- Parulekar, A., & Raheja, P., Impact of Brand Endorsements on Celebrity Image. In Proceedings of the Image and Advertising Conference. Seoul, South Korea: Society of Consumer Psychology, USA and the Korean Marketing Association. (2003).
- Parulekar, A., & Parulekar, M., Future of Healthcare in India and Goa. Goa Institute of Management. (2011).
- Parulekar, A., & D’Souza, S., Indian Patents Law (p. 172). Macmillan India Limited. (2006).
Cases in Books
- Bhandiye, R., & Parulekar, A., Marketing the Commonwealth Games New Delhi, In Streamlining discharge: A systems approach. In Proceedings of the LUMS-AJMC case Conference, Lahore. (2013).
- Parulekar, A. Bisleri – Is it still a brand. Goa Institute of Management. (2005).
- Goyal, R., & Parulekar, A. Brand Myopia – Caselets of Dettol, Dalda & Royal Enfield Bullet. (2002).