Centres of Excellence
At GIM, we believe that our responsibility as a management institution isn’t restricted by the boundaries of a classroom. Through our various Centres of Excellence, we try our best to contribute to our community from multiple angles.
- Centre for social sensitivity and action (CSSA)
- Centre for Excellence in Sustainable Development (CESD)
- Centre of Excellence in Research (CER)
- Centre for Creativity, Innovation and Design Thinking (CCIDT)
- Centre for Entrepreneurship Development (EDC)
- Centre for Teaching Excellence (TEF@GIM)
- Centre for Public Policy and Governance (CPPG)
Centre for Social Sensitivity and Action (CSSA)
The Centre For Social Sensitivity and Action (CSSA) at the Goa Institute of Management (GIM) acts as a bridge between GIM and the external community of which we are part.
CSSA plays a crucial role in inculcating values of sensitivity, responsibility, and empathy among students to enable them to build a sustainable business and society.
Established in 2013, CSSA contributes to GIM’s mission of “create knowledge and develop responsible and agile leaders at the forefront of cutting-edge business practices” by inculcating among students values of sensitivity, responsibility, and empathy to enable them to build a sustainable business and society.
Goa Institute of Management is a member of a group of institutions that is committed to implementing the Principles of Responsible Management Education (PRME). GIM has been selected as PRME Champions for 2023-24 and CSSA is coordinating from the institute side. CSSA remains committed to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) initiative, and the promotion of responsible management. Access our latest SIP here PRME Report 2022
GIM's SDG Dashboard
The SDG Dashboard is a collaborative data analytics platform designed to assist higher education institutions in reporting and sharing best practice impacts on the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and accelerate the transformation of higher education into a force for good. The SDG Dashboard is provided by the Haub School of Business at Saint Joseph’s University.
Centre for Excellence in Sustainable Development
GIM has always been conscious about the impact of its decisions on the ecosystem around it and has continuously strived to reduce its carbon footprints. Along with measures like rainwater harvesting, harnessing solar-power, tree plantation drives, treatment of water for reuse, and many more, the institute has expressed its commitment to this philosophy also through its mission statement which allies about sustainable business and an inclusive society for India and the world.
The centre started working with three core objectives in mind
- Knowledge creation:
to develop model institute for green campus in India and transform GIM community into a more sustainable community. At the same time, use these processes for action research in the field of sustainable development
- Knowledge Dissemination:
To increase awareness about green living and sustainable development in the community around us and carry out activities to try to reduce the carbon footprint of the state of Goa and see India as a whole
- Knowledge Application:
To develop a resource center for sustainable development at GIM for imparting training.
Dr. Arpita Amarnani- CESD CHAIR
Dr. Vithal S. Sukhathankar- MEMBER
Dr. Diya Guha Roy- MEMBER
Dr. Muneeb Ul Lateef Banday- MEMBER
Dr. Purvendu Sharma- MEMBER
Dr. Abhinav Sharma- MEMBER
Dr. Mauli Soni- MEMBER
Dr. Karen Fernandes- SENIOR RESEARCH ASSOCIATE
Read the GIM Sustainability Report for 2021-22
The Centre has a newsletter titled "Sustainability Horizon" which aims at addressing the changing dynamism in the field of environmental sustainability.
Centre of Excellence in Research (CER)
GIM's philosophy states that the focus of research at GIM is “To enhance knowledge through research in the fields of management, social, economic, industrial, rural, scientific and to disseminate such knowledge with a view to contributing to the orderly growth, development and the quality of life of the people of Goa and of the country as a whole”.
Some of our recent publications.
Centre for Creativity, Innovation and Design Thinking (CCIDT)
Creativity, Innovation and Imagination are a critical skills needed by the manager of tomorrow. We have to "imagine" the future- products, services, and the universe we as a race will need. Design Thinking has fast become a powerful tool to approach new ideas in a disciplined manner. It uses a human centered approach to find sustainable solutions to existing problems. The Centre works at multiple levels to provide students with ample opportunities to "practice" these skills with the use of workshops, contests and opportunities to help students “see” solutions when none seem to exist and harnesses metaphors to see new product/service designs possibilities.
- Develops students' multiple skills, based on Howard Gardner's multiple intelligences
- Provides rich opportunities to train and expand the intelligence for better insights into problem-solving.
- Is headed by a Centre Chairperson & 12 member student team to ensure that consistent discipline and proof of learning is maintained throughout.
- Carries out activities like theatre, dance, short film making, photography, art and music, open mic, and stand-up comedy.
Centre for Entrepreneurship Development (EDC)
EDC has been established with the aim to foster the spirit of entrepreneurship among students and community. Centre will:
- Provide students with opportunities to learn about entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial process
- Develop entrepreneurial attitudes & capabilities
- Thereby contribute to the local (and national) community
- Help others interested in setting up ventures, (b) Help existing entrepreneurs to grow & manage their businesses better
- Help family businesses, Mentor and incubate start-ups
- Help in turning around existing organizations
The Centre would also undertake research on entrepreneurship in India & develop case studies. Centre would not focus on:
- Self-employment or lifestyle entrepreneurs
- Skill based training/ entrepreneurship.
Centre for Teaching Excellence
Centre for Teaching Excellence at GIM (CTE, GIM) promotes learning-centric pedagogical practices and innovations. Each year, the centre conducts several activities and events - e.g., Teaching Excellence Forums (TEFs), Webinars, Faculty Development Programs (FDP). The focus of those events is pedagogy, EdTech, students’ assessment, mentoring, and innovation in teaching and learning. Services and initiatives of CTE, GIM are calibrated in collaboration with different programs and centres at GIM to support their respective objectives. In addition, CTE, GIM also offers hand-holding and one-to-one personal counselling for faculty members on teaching effectiveness.
Vision: To be a leading centre in the country for the deliberation and dissemination of pedagogical innovations and best practices.
Key Events of 2023
|12th Jan 2023||Experience of a New Elective Experiment||Prof Padmanabhan|
Key Events of 2022
|1st Dec 2022||Capsim micro-simulation experience: Interactive Presentation||Prof Divya Singhal and Prof Padmanabhan|
|1st Dec 2022||Learning-centric Feedback Management||Guided Discussion|
|18th Aug 2022||Organizing Teams Without Frustrating Students||Prof Allan Bird|
|14th July 2022||Bloom's Taxonomy for Better Student Engagement||Guided Discussion|
|10th Feb 2022||Mastery of One Note & MS Teams for Quant Subjects||Prof Rohit Mutkekar|
|16th Dec 2021||Designing Microsimulations for Learning Facilitation||Prof Divya Singhal and Prof Padmanabhan|
Key Events of 2021
- 18th November: Scaffolding in Instructional Design, Webinar by Prof. Allan Bird. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCk05CnfKIc)
- 20th October: Online tools for "Students' Engagement via Innovative Online Tools” TEF by Prof. Divya
- 20th October: Enhancing Listening for Learning Facilitation, TEF by Prof. Karman
14th April 2021: New Education Policy (NEP)’s Implications - Stakeholder Sensitization Seminar, by Vice-Chancellor, Goa University, Goa
26th - 27th February 2021: Methods of Master Teachers FDP by Prof. Arun Pereira. Emeritus Faculty, Saint Louis University, MIT-Sloan International Faculty Fellow
Key Events of 2020
- Responsible Management and B-School Pedagogy Webinar by Professor Robert Edward Freeman. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJXdHpx40LE)
- Open Pedagogy & Higher Education Webinar by Professor Arley Cruthers of KPU, Canada. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjU8eE6CXfY&t=127s )
- Ed-Tech Essentials for New Normal Webinar Panel Members: Prof. P. D Jose, IIMB, and Prof. Sebastian Morris.( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4sp8v9iIiA )
- New Normal Higher Education: Multi-Country Perspective Webinar Panel Members: Dr. Dorra Yahiaoui, KEDGE Business School, France; Dr Andrea North-Samardzic, Deakin Business School, Australia; Prof. Sunil Kumar Sarangi, XLRI, India. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyNo3Gue7xE
Centre for Public Policy and Governance (CPP)
Centre for Public Policy and Governance (CPPG) is one of the new initiatives at GIM. The CPPG is primarily motivated towards exploring the links between the field of management and public policy.
The Centre has the objective of generating and leading intellectual capital, and experience to inform public policy formulation and governance in India and emerging economies. The Centre aims to generate awareness among the student community by providing a platform to discuss and analyze public policies. It will serve as a platform for academics from all over the country and beyond, policymakers, and others interested in public policy and governance to interact, and dialogue. Its philosophy is predicated on the belief that effective public policy is always deeply contextualized. Having functional organizations, and managerial and design capability within government and parastatals as much as the content of public policy is important for success.
The Centre also contributes to regional development by actively participating in various policy initiatives undertaken by the government and various non-governmental actors.
International Conference on the State of Employment in India: Problems and Prospects - May 10th-11th 2022
CALL FOR PAPERS
The Centre for Public Policy and Governance, of the Goa Institute of Management, invites scholars to submit and present research papers at the conference.
An extended 1000-word abstract and brief CV may kindly be e-mailed to the Centre, by March 10th, 2022.
Please write “CPPG / Employment Conference / Your Name / Title of Paper “in the subject line. Upon selection, you would be required to send the complete paper by April 30, 2022.
The Conference is planned to be held at the Sanquelim Campus of the Goa Institute of Management, Goa, INDIA. Travel expenses (within India), for those presenting their papers, would be covered. [In case the COVID restrictions continue, the conference would be held online].
For more Information please download the Information bulletin below:-